This project aims to develop new methods of introducing community-based geriatricians (doctors who are specially trained to support older people), to enhance the quality of delivery of our three main primary care projects; Community Multi-Disciplinary Teams, Holistic Assessments and Integrated Care Management.
The program comprises two projects - one project will be design and tested in North Southwark, and the other will be in South East Lambeth. Both will aim to:
- Provide specialist care to older people in community settings which is integrated with existing services – the right care, in the right place, at the right time
- Develop new methods for screening for frailty in primary care
- Support and educate primary care teams in managing frail and complex older people
- Complement and enhance the specialist support already provided
- Put in place appropriate proactive and coordinated services to reduce hospital activity and system costs
- Test and identify successful models of care provision which can be duplicated in other areas of Lambeth and Southwark.
Although the two projects share the same objectives and will meet regularly to share learning, each project will be co-designed and tested at a Local Care Network level, working closely with other local health and social care providers, local people and the local voluntary and community sector. This will ensure that the way care is provided will be tailored to what local people need in their local community, but at the same time benefitting from experiences in other areas.
The project is at an early stage and a detailed project plan is currently being developed. If you would like to know more about the projects or get involved, please email email@example.com.